The European Chronicles 2.6 Rain, aRomatic steam, Rose and Ruminations

The European Chronicles - Chapter 2.6

Rain
aRomatic steam
Rose and
Ruminations

Woke up to rain, and it only got worse after breakfast (which is really lunch, but I like it!).  Today will be a spa day (steam rooms are awesome!) since I don't have to ride, and tomorrow looks sunny and dry.  I'll make that a longer day after enjoying the hotel today.





It stayed like this the whole day...



Strolled around the town, "picturesque" does not do it justice.







Orange wind breaker that packs to nothing courtesy of Krisanne 😀





Absolutely perfect shape...looking forward to the new one, a potential Nigel replacement when the time comes...



No, Krisanne, we're not putting a snorkel on Nigel...  ðŸ˜‰



For those of you that don't know...Nigel...indulge me, it's raining...



More here if you're interested:  https://advwithnigel.blogspot.com

Back to the Vaud, which is what this western area of Switzerland is called.





The Rose, bread and cheese from the Co-op, their grocery store.  As I'm wandering around, I head to the "specialty" cheese section, you know, the one away from the pre-packaged offerings and usually where they keep the good stuff.  Pick out something I'm unfamiliar with...you have to try, right?...called Saint Albray.



The Rose was good.  The bread was great.  The cheese, well, all I can say is that it must be like snails, mussels or javelin catching, an acquired taste.  I looked it up, which is probably something I should have done in the store...and it is called the "stinky flower cheese" with "a combination of barnyard and ammonia smell."  Exactly right.  I wrapped it tight in the Co-op bag so as not to incur additional room cleaning charges.  ðŸ˜“

Now some motorcycle ruminations...what's the perfect travel bike?  Mia, at 800cc, is the smallest displacement motorcycle I've owned since 1995.  It is also the lightest "tourer" I've owned in a long time; at 470 lbs wet beating everything else by 60-100 lbs.  And yet, she'll cruise easily at 130 kph all day long, and swing thru the twisties with aplomb.  I think the manufacturers are missing a big opportunity here; every year bikes, like cars, get bigger and heavier.  There is a significant advantage to low weight; the car manufacturers are trying to reduce weight to meet the gas mileage requirements.  Bike manufacturers should be doing the same, not for gas mileage, but because there is simply no penalty to light weight, only benefits.

In these European mountain towns you're presented with situations like this, constantly:



You're approaching the camera on the road to the left.  You have to make the 180 degree uphill left, then the immediate 90 degree uphill right, 2-up and/or loaded, wet or dry.  Doing that on a 600+ lb bike is certainly possible, but it is a chore.  As is swinging that heavy bike back and forth thru the twisties.

What do I want?  (and I know at least a few people on this distribution have direct access to BMW and Ducati).  A 450 lb wet, 100 hp, 65 ft/lb of torque, comfortable tourer.  That's the sweet spot.  The F800GT is close at 90 hp/470 lbs, but not quite there.  Seems to me this is an easily do-able project.  The belt drive on the F800GT is awesome, I want that on my unicorn bike...quiet, ZERO maintenance, just replace at 30k, a 30 minute job.  I want comfortable "adv bike" style ergos, because that's what you need to tour.  Lean angle abs is a must, but I don't care about traction control; I mean it's nice, but I'm touring, not racing.  Also don't need (or even want, because those little numbers are hard to see) a digital dash, riding modes, or a quick shifter...really who cares?  Nor keyless start, one of the more idiotic solutions to a non-existent problem I've ever seen, bike and car.

What I would like is an integrated nose-mounted camera, activated by a push for on/off left handlebar switch, and recording to a standard format onboard removable SD card.  This is more important than any bluetooth, "I can answer my phone" (but why would you want to?) connectivity.  I'd like to share video easily, and that would do it.  Wouldn't you like to see some video in this blog?  I would, but don't want the aggravation of GoPro style cameras.  Don't care about sat nav integration, I'll add my own, thank you (that would be a TomTom).

I want easy to do oil and filter changes, with nothing, no bodywork, to be removed.  Don't care about other maintenance items b/c that will likely go back to the dealer.  I do want an owner resettable service reminder, because we're adults after all.

I want top shelf (Ohlins) analog suspension, with adjustments easily made by hand; forks and shock.  Preload, compression and rebound damping, all accessible, no tools required.  Does not need to be electronic, just accessible.

And I want, I need, perfect throttle pick up...no jerkiness, with a flat, smooth torque curve, no dips.  Very, very important, otherwise the bike will piss me off every single time I ride it.

Good, robust, but light, luggage.  3 hard bags and a tank bag.  Able to be closed but not locked (I'm lookin' at you Ducati).

Full LED lighting, no maintenance, no worries.  Cast wheels, 17 inch front/rear, standard sport touring sizes, no spokes, no tubes. Don't care about TPMS.

Adjustable ergonomics...bar, shift lever, brake pedal, clutch and brake levers, seat height.  And a comfortable seat...maybe even sell the bike without a seat, allow the dealer to customize for the buyer.  I've never owned a BMW where I have not changed the seat, the F800GT included, the Sargent seat rocks!  Heated grips standard.  With a button for activation.  Why is it that a high end bicycle is custom fitted to you, but a motorcycle barely has any adjustable ergonomics?

Honestly, my unicorn is a parts bin bike for both Ducati and BMW.  If you build it, they will come.  Us aging boomers will line up at the door...and we're the ones with disposable income.  Deliver my unicorn for 20k or less fully equipped and you've got my money.

Rant over...here's to drier days 😈. Stay left for the hotel...don't ask me how I know...





Popular Posts