The European Chronicles 2.5 To Switzerland

The European Chronicles - Chapter 2.5??

To Switzerland

I'm in the middle of our second big, booming thunderstorm.  Flash, boom, flash, boom.  Might as well recount the day, especially since I'm now on my second of these... 😉



Cast in jello, that's how plans are best viewed.  True today; I had a circuitous back road route planned from Colmar, France to Leysin, Switzerland.  It had sprinkled overnight, and the weather-guessers were calling for possible showers, but later in the day, so I'm thinking good, the morning will be fine. About 45 minutes into the ride, the sky starts to look ominous; simultaneously, I've got défaillance de la route.



See the gate behind me?  Betty wants me to head down that path...um, no.  I check the weather radar to the south, and "not good" is the summary.  Head over to the autoroute to see if I can put it behind me.

Humming along at 130 kph, there's a toll sign ahead.  Hmmm, didn't know there were tolls on the French autoroute.  Here's a pure noob story:  I pull over, fish out a 10 euro note, stuff it into my 'stich's right sleeve pocket, fish out a 20, and put it in the chest pocket, just in case.  Ok, I'm moneyed up, roll up to the toll, get waived right through.  WTF?

Duh, this was the Swiss border, and thanks to Stefan, I'd already purchased the required vignette and put it on Mia.  It's the blue sticker on the upper left of the windscreen.



I was only planning on using it for the quick way back to Stefan's from Varenna, but glad I had it now.

Starts to rain in earnest, hard enough that I can feel the drops thru the Aerostich; there's thunder and a few bursts of lightning.  Gore-tex has to be the best invention ever for motorcyclists, right up there with the wheel and fuel injection.  I've got "tex" head to toe, so I'm good.

Thru a series of tunnels, and then, sunshine!  Like it has never rained.  Aren't mountains wonderful?  Gas up, and thankfully we're back to "dispense first, pay later."  Not bad for highway scenery:





At least the highway money is put to good use, the surface is glass smooth.  You climb this road to Leysin



And we're there, dry, in the sunshine.





Looking at



Mia even gets covered parking



What to do, what to do?  I'm thinking go hit some of the local passes, woman at reception tells me they are expecting more thunderstorms later.  Hmmm, looking at the time, don't think that will work, and I've had enough rain riding for today.  How about a gondola ride to the top of the ski area, that should provide some good views.  I head out, just a short walk from the hotel.







Turn it UP...



You can ride these fat tired scooters down...that could be fun.







Within minutes, the sky is looking pretty black, there's thunder and lightning...but this guy is just outside its range...for now...



Now that's CRAZY...



The wind picks up and boom, torrential rain.  Gondola shuts down, everyone seeks cover.







Lasts for almost 30 minutes, back at the bottom, it's like nothing ever happened.



Tennis camp in town...how do you get good at anything...start young and practice.



And the Final Jeopardy Answer:  Cheeks





Popular Posts