The European Chronicles 2023.5 - The Parc Natural de Corse

 Into every trip a little rain must fall...


Corsica is a small island, so my "run with the weather" plan doesn't really work.  The mountains get weather, and Corsica is essentially a mountain in the middle of the sea.  You get thunderstorms, at least this time of year.  Adapt, adjust.  Put the rain suit on.



I'm heading from Aleria, on the coast, into the Parc Natural Regional de Corse and have an 80 mile route planned that TomTom tells me will take over 3 hours without stops.  Corsica is TIGHT!  ðŸ˜‚. Once again, I'm hoping to get there before the storms hit; once again, I fail.  ðŸ˜†

Relive 'To Parc Naturel Regional de Corse'


The clouds are already building as I head toward the mountains.


The L.N. Mattei distillery, wines and whiskey.  Surrounded by vineyards, too early for a taste.




Climbing now




Stunning scenery around every bend.








With 20 miles left to go, things start looking very ominous.  Streaks of lightning, immediate cracks of thunder...then the rain comes pouring down.  TomTom tells me the 20 miles will take me 40 minutes...I pull over under a tree and at least close the vents.  ðŸ˜‚

I'm then on the D4, a ridge road between a rock wall and a cliff; this google street view gives you an idea.  Picture it pouring down rain with lightning.


Get to the hotel...their power is out because of the storm...can't put Mia in the garage because the door won't open.  Too funny.


The storm blows by in about a half hour, power comes back, I get a bottle of wine from the restaurant and all is right with the world.  ðŸ˜Ž

Cannelloni with broccoli, yum.


Notice the electric car charging stations?  Even here, in the middle of nowhere.


Not far from the hotel is a now abandoned hot springs resort, Thermes de Guagno-Les Bains.  Beautiful building.


There's a hot spring right next to the building, steam coming off the water and the telltale sulphur smell.


Goats and sheep along the way...





The weather forecast remains iffy, big thunderstorms seem to blow in sometime around noon.  This time, I plan a very nice loop ride that gets me back as the storms are building but before the skies open.  ðŸ˜Ž

Pigs, cattle, goats all out and about this fine morning!





Typical Corsican guardrail.  ðŸ˜‚




Mr. Boss Piggy didn't really like sharing the road.


Another brood, this time with mama feeding them.  



Looking for a parking space







There were actually a whole group of goats in the road, most scrambled right up the side of the mountain.




Yup, I've found the right road...  ðŸ˜‚








Back to the hotel, you can see the clouds starting to build...


Mia safely ensconced in her garage.


I expect there will be something with mushrooms tonight!  ðŸ˜†


And about an hour later, ka-boom!  Perfect!


Ciao!

An Update:

After dinner rainbow over Mia!  Great way to cap my stay in the Parc.







Popular Posts