The European Chronicles 2023.19 - 4 of 5, with Gratitude

Five Years, Four Riding



It doesn't really seem possible that this marks the end of five years in Europe.  I shipped Mia in February 2019, rode that summer, missed 2020 because of the pandemic, made it back in 21, 22 and now 23.  I'm batting 800, not bad.  ðŸ˜Ž

I am truly lucky to be doing this and am exceedingly grateful...thank you Krisanne for supporting this disease/dream...can't wait for "the greatest hits" next year together!  And thank you all for following along...feeding the blog is what makes me stop to take pictures; otherwise there would only be photos at a petrol station.  ðŸ˜‚

This years' stats:

6 countries (Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Lichtenstein)

2 islands

2 overnight ferries, 1 day ferry

4000 miles

55 mpg

33 mph average

Mia was flawless


End of Trip Observations:

Everything you've read about the travel surge is true, at least to Europe...things were far busier this year than I've seen before and I'm here before the August rush.  My "no plan, plan" of booking hotels the evening before needed some adjustment...I backed it up to two days before and that gave me more choices.  My flights here were full and United just cancelled my flight home which was at 11 am and put me on an 8 am with 2 connections instead of the original 1.  Completely full too.  Oh, well.  

I've really enjoyed setting my speed to "stroll" and staying 2-3 days at each location.  Lots of flexibility that way, more relaxed and more fun.

Prices are a bit up, the exchange rate about 8% worse than last year.  That said, hotel prices have not seen the "surge" here that we've seen in the States, where mid-level chain hotel prices have gone insane.  It still feels fairly reasonable, especially considering what you get.  

The islands...Corsica and Sardinia...were fun, but I probably would not do them again.  As much as I like to romanticize ferries, there was nothing romantic about these.  Chaotic, noisy and perhaps worst of all, a pervasive diesel smell everywhere:  cabin, outer decks, lounge, restaurant, everywhere.  I was fortunate that the loading process on all three had great weather, in the rain this would be miserable on the bike. 

Bonifacio, on the southern tip of Corsica, was the city/town highlight.  Very dramatic, charming, good food, interesting history.  The SantaTeresa is a fantastic hotel, with spectacular views.






Although the riding is good, sometimes very good, especially on Corsica, it is not Alps-quality.  Perhaps if I really liked the beach, the islands would "speak" to me more.  Between the two, I'd have to say I liked Corsica better.  It felt more "wild," more authentic, less developed.  The coastal roads were great, the mountain roads challenging.  It has more attitude, even the wildlife.  ðŸ˜‚


Pretty, fun, glad I did them, but now in the rear view mirror.

The Alps are just better...better roads, views, hotels, food...better in every way.  From a Moto-travel standpoint, they have a combination that is very, very hard to beat.




Even when you screw up the route, it's a great road.  ðŸ˜‚


Europe appears to be weathering the war fairly well.  Petrol prices are up a bit, but not crazy (like they were for a time in Arizona, when we were even higher than California).  A couple of hotels shut down the air conditioning overnight, required by law in Germany.  The war is, however, a topic of conversation...people are concerned, rightly.

Stefan's business continues to thrive.  Lots of bikes coming and going.





New addition stuccoed, painted and completely full, both floors.






Has allowed for easy access to and a bit more room in the shop.



Slightly new process this year...tag, bag and take everything off the bike and put it in the new storage facility, Mia will be moved later.  All clean, oil changed, waxed and naked:


All the "stuff" patiently waiting for next year.


Stefan makes this so easy, as does his relationship with the local BMW dealer.  Quality service, cost virtually the same as back home.  Gratitude.

Me and Mia, making memories.










Thanks again for coming along!  Gotta try to get some sleep, we're outta here at 4:30 am tomorrow morning.  ðŸ˜‚

Home soon Krisanne; get ready to suit up for 2024!

Ciao!


August Update


We made it into BMW Owners News!






Popular Posts