The European Chronicles - 2022.4 The French Alps

< Finally made it!




First, have to get there.  I head into Switzerland, with a plan to stop in Montreux for a photo-op.  It seems there's a Freddie Mercury statue there, and Krisanne's a big fan.  Sadly, I failed; Montreux, although beautiful, is a bit of a zoo and the statue seems to be (I never saw it) in a pedestrian only area and I'd have to park quite a bit away.  My plan for a quick photo goes in the bin, sorry Krisanne!  Would be fun to go back for the jazz festival, sans Moto.

Riding around the lake was pretty, especially once you get away from the traffic.



Oh, and I got my new Swiss vignette, a requirement to use their highways.  Stefan did not have any available, so I had to stop at the next service area after I crossed the border in Basel.

Mia looks pretty in purple, don't you think?


And I swear, I bought it at the service station next door...


😂😂😂😂



Heading to the Col de la Colombiere.






A nice little hotel in Le Grand-Bornand, France.


Where Mia gets a garage...which was very nice b/c I had to change the headlight bulb.  I think that unpaved frolic and detour a couple of days ago did it in...glad I packed a spare when I shipped the bike. The Sargant seat has a plastic storage tube under it that's perfect for spare bulbs.  Pretty easy on this bike, you don't have to remove anything but the cover.


Time for a "local spritz."  Made with sweet vermouth, bitters and some kind of local sparkling wine. Alright, force me.



Turns out this town closes down the Main Street every Wednesday in the summer and turns it into a "kid play zone."  A climbing wall, lots of games, families strolling.  Very nice.


Clearly all locals enjoying the evening.  And outside my hotel, kids playing chess, just like on most street corners in the US.


Who doesn't like a good hula hoop?



The Moto culture starts early...I'm sure the next Fabio Quarteraro is in this group somewhere...




Make sure you turn on the sound for the full effect!

A fun evening and great breakfast with friends the next morning.



Now it's time to head toward Albertville (you may remember they hosted the Winter Olympics) and the Cormet de Roselend with the eventual goal one of the highest passes in the Alps, the Col de l'Iseran.











First the valley, then the pass.









Some of the passes have photographers that make their living taking photos of cars and bikes on the pass and selling the images to you on their website.  There was one on station today...these are the screen grabs, I've ordered the high quality images...how could I not!







This was an "out and back" ride, so he got me in each direction!

Out and back because I wanted to do the Petit St. Bernard Pass into...Italy.

First have to get there.





The village at the start of the climb.


And at the top


Storm brewing...


Italia!


As I entered the Aosta Valley, it started pouring...thunder, lightning, buckets of rain on and off to the hotel.

From the hotel window...


Mia goes into the bat cave, parked next to Enzo's brother.


I enjoy a spritz (surprise!) and yes that's a motorcycle in the lobby.  Owner likes Moto Guzzi!


There are a couple, actually.


The rain blows by, and I head out for a stroll.


NOT my hotel



This was so cool



Pedestrian only, and they were setting up for a free evening concert on the square.





Remember, one at a time, on a curve, with a pattern.


The Aosta Valley


Ciao!



Popular Posts