The European Chronicles 2022.5. The Big Dog +2, Big RAIN and on to Collalbo

 The Grand St. Bernard, Furka, Oberalp, a day off, then on to Collalbo for the start of the Alps Riding Academy.


The plan was to do the "three pass boogie" and end up at Chris' house in Switzerland.  Well, that didn't work.  ðŸ˜†





Breakfast was, once again, terrific and the weather started out half-decent, but I knew it was going to rain.  All the liners go in, and everything gets buttoned down.

The view to start




About half way up the Grand St. Bernard it starts to rain, then pour, then pour more.


I've found that sometimes, in fact fairly often, the weather is different on the other side of the pass.  That was my hope; turned out to be true.  This time.

As I drop into Switzerland, things dry out.  Switzerland is the land of looking-glass views and billiard table smooth roads.



Even the gas station has a million euro view.


Next up:  Furka Pass...Bond, James Bond...







Not yet...


The now, sadly, closed Hotel Belvedere.


Was going to stop at the restaurant behind but there was thunder and lightning and I was hoping to get down before it rolled in.  Not. A. Chance.



It started to pour, really hammer down.  Cracks of thunder, bursts of lightning, a steady stream of cars, Motos and bicycles tip-toeing their way down the pass, myself included.  No photos; I was BUSY.  I swear I saw an ark, some animals and a Shepherd beside the roadway.

Roll into Andermatt, and I have to make a decision.  Get a hotel here or keep going.  Right at Andermatt's doorstep is the next pass, Oberalp.  It is still pouring and in a fit of misguided optimism, I decide the weather MUST be different on the other side of the Oberalp; surely, it can't still be raining this hard over there.

I was wrong.  It was raining harder.  I don't think you can possibly travel through more water and not be in a submarine. As I'm riding, I see a hotel I had previously scoped out as a possible place to stay, The Catrina Resort.

Quick left, stop at the first building, which turns out be be a restaurant.  Lots of riders had the same idea, and we're all commiserating in different languages while we drip all over their floor.  I ask the hostess if they have a room, I'm done, so done.  She calls over, and yes, a single zimmer.  Perfect, she gives me directions to reception.  Or so I thought.

This ski resort is "in progress," and to say their signage leaves something to be desired is only eclipsed by how hard it is still raining.  I go to three different buildings before I hit the right one.  Apartments, no.  Hostel, no.  Hotel, check.


All checked in; there's even a parking garage for Mia.  That was a bit of a comedy as well; I'm told it is right around the corner of the hotel.  Before I move the bike, I walk around, in the rain, there does not appear to be an entrance.  Go back, am assured there is.  I walk down to a group of workmen; they have a large truck parked sideways across the garage entrance, you'd never see it.  One of them makes the universal "riding a Moto" sign and says, "We move the truck."  Lo and behold, there's the entrance.  Gotta just laugh, it was really comical at that point.

Mia goes in, and I can offload in the dry.  Nice.


As I said, others had the same idea.


Some evening Zen...because of course, it eventually stopped raining.  I was never so happy to be off the bike.  Unfortunately, won't make it to Chris this year, that's a real shame, sorry Chris!  Next year for sure.


I took Saturday off to relax, let everything dry out and explore the hotel.

And I'll just put these here, the high quality shots from  Fox Photo




I like this last one, really captures the majesty of the landscape.

To Collalbo

A word about the Catrina Hotel...meh.  Lots of stuff is in progress and not currently working.  Decent restaurant choices, the Coop on premises is convenient, good breakfast, but isolated location.  The two best things: it was dry, and they had a garage.  Off the list for a return unless, well, it is raining...and I was very grateful they had a room this time.  Nice staff, too.

A few photos of the grounds.


These buildings are apartments to rent or buy.




Time to put it in the rearview mirror...but when I check out, I get a "parting gift."  Seriously.


No idea why; receptionist said, "It is what we do!"  Ok, +1 star just because...

A better travel day dawns...through Switzerland, Austria and Italia.



Around Davos and over Fluela Pass





The Electric Enzo, have seen quite a few, but caught this one.  Would make a great "island car."  ðŸ˜Ž



Interesting foliage at the top.


Over Reichen Pass, the one with the town underwater, didn't stop, church steeple still poking up through the lake.  Through Merano and Bolzano and to the Hotel Bemelmans Post, which started in the 14th century as a horse-changing and post station.  Bemelmans History


This is the host hotel for the Alps Riding Academy.

Before the gear explosion.


My balcony view:


This is gonna be fun!

Ciao!


Popular Posts