The European Chronicles 5.4 Monza F1

The European Chronicles - Chapter 5.4

Autrodromo Nazionale Monza
Formula 1

Monza, built in 1922, is the world's third purpose-built racetrack, located in a park just north of Milan and two stops on the train south from Varenna.  A fast, flowing circuit, shaped like your right foot including the ankle.  Because of the long straight, F1 cars run a "low downforce" aero package to increase top speed; that also makes them a handful thru the turns, especially the last sweeping right hander:  the Parabolica.



The Parabolica is an important turn, really two turns because of the shape, perhaps the most important on the circuit.  Its long sweeping arc, curling around your toes, leads to the long straight.  Get it right and it sets your speed for the straight, get it wrong and you either end up in the gravel or get blown by on that same straight.  I set up there for a series of short videos and to watch the different solutions to the same problem.

First off, let me say that I no longer follow F1 with any regularity.  I did up thru about the 90s, but all the downforce made the cars and racing less interesting to me; less passing, less driver involvement.  Guess you could say I'm an ex-fan, but how could I miss this opportunity?

Every good trip in Italy must start with a good cappuccino.



At the Varenna station, I met two Canadians also heading for practice; their Ferrari shirts gave it away.  Friends from Toronto, they were at Spa for the last race, and are doing Monza this weekend; they follow the circus around as time permits.  Nice guys both, one even has a Ducati Monster 821, made the train time go by in a flash.  Well signed directions lead you to a shuttle bus to the circuit, and a long walk thru the park puts you at the entrance.



As you can see, there's some rain.  Mostly intermittent, but too wet for slicks until the very end of the session.  Fine with me, the cars move around more in the wet.

Here's the entrance to the Parabolica:





Two completely different lines thru the same turn:





Two more, again high and low




Back when I did Skip Barber Formula Ford, I was told "it's drier, higher."  You be the judge.

Further around the turn.  This is the first time I've heard a modern F1 car live.  Many have this slightly odd "whirl" sound as the reach the top of the rev range...the video does not capture it well, but you can hear it slightly at the end of this one.  Also a faint wiff of exotic fuel, a bit like the Moto 3 bikes, but not as strong.  Sadly, the smell-o-vision on my phone was disengaged...



Setting up for the straight




Before I left, I walked thru the F1 "Fan Zone."  There were two booths that had crowds:  the F1 simulators and the IQUOS e-cigarette booth.  Both populated by Generation Z (if you don't know, that's the generation after the Millennials, I had to look it up).  When we toured the Ferrari museum last September, I did one of the simulators...pure video game with three screens and zero tactile feedback.  Really brought home to me how much we (maybe only me?) rely on physical feedback to control a vehicle.  Perhaps good for learning a track, but certainly not for control, at least in my limited experience.  As for the e-cigarettes, sad, really, and shows the overwhelming power of marketing.  Mission Winnow my ass.



Any who, a Ferrari under glass, showing the complex aero solutions









If it begins with cappuccino, it must end with gelato



And Casa Olea, still under guard



Ciao!

Popular Posts