Gleeson Road

Gleeson Road

Sometimes, I joke that there are only 5 roads around Tucson and, although only superficially true, there is a dearth of fun, twisty pavement.  When a road migrates from dirt to pavement, and it involves actual turns, a celebration is mandatory.  That's exactly what happened with Gleeson Road…a formally washboard dirt road was paved from Tombstone to Elfrida.  Up and over the Dragoons, no traffic, but the occasional cow.



Yesterday, my wife and I went for a beautiful ride on The Hammer, up and over the Dragoons via Gleeson Road, ending at Pizzeria Mimosa for lunch.  And canolli.  You can't forget da canolli.
My wife is a bit claustrophobic.  I didn't know that years ago when I invited her for a ride, but soon learned.  Showing up to my, what is now our, house for a ride to Kitt Peak, I laid out the gear she was to use.  "I thought I was going to get a tan; I have to wear all this?"  Well, yes.
She dutifully donned the somewhat fitting jacket and pants, took instruction on what to do as a pillion, then was ready to pull on the full-face helmet.  "Aaaaaaaaaaaaa, I can't wear this!!!!"  Ok, ok, open the visor, let's try that.  "Aaaaaaaaaaa, ok, ok, aaaaaaaaaa, ok, ok."  That's good, breathe, breathe...  Now we have to do up the D-ring.  "Aaaaaaaaaaaaa."
Since that time, she has become an ATGATT convert, is a terrific pillion and a great back seat photodocumentarian.  She's even named her 'stich "Shelia" and mine "Bob."  That's so when we're at a restaurant we can get a table for four.
What does this backstory have to do with yesterday's ride?  Glad you asked.  Heading out of Tombstone over the Dragoons, my wife gives me the sideways thumb sign:  stop at the next available opportunity.
Getting off, she says "I'm freezing."  It is 62 degrees.  "I'm freezing."  You haven't closed all the zips around your arms and neck.  "I'm freezing."  Ok, your liners are in the right saddlebag.
The Hammer patiently waiting, she layers up.
Almost ready to resume the ride, I mention that she should cinch up her arm zips to keep the wind out.  "Aaaaaaaaaa."
"Aaaaaaaaaa, I can't cinch anything else up.  Sometimes you have to just say 'stop the insanity'."
For about the next ten miles, I'm laughing almost uncontrollably in my helmet; Bryan Adams' "Have you ever really loved a woman?" playing on the iPod.







Here in the west, you can "see" the weather…


Gleeson Road connects Tombstone to Elfrieda.



The cottonwoods are blooming wherever there's water.


The Fort Huachuca radar blimp being lowered, most likely because of high winds.  It is designed to detect low flying aircraft trying to sneak in from Mexico, including ultralights, that "bomb" the US with marijuana and other drugs.




At "the" intersection in Sonoita, there's a general store and gas station.  This historical information is on the side of the store, detailing the civil war of 1961 and the Apache Wars of 1973.  Some went to Vietnam; some to the Apache wars…Duh!!





Popular Posts