The European Chronicles 2026.17 - The Turn, Auf Wiedersehen Pitztal, Hallo Frankfurt

 The Turn For Home




Always a bit sad, but also always with anticipation, we leave Pitztal and start the journey home.  North through the valley and over the Hahntennjoch toward Germany.

Some dancing clouds for our departure.



Following the Scooterati for a bit...  ðŸ˜‚


Starting the climb...


Top down weather!



Party at the top...


Tunnels and turns on the other side.




An event-free run up the Autobahn, drop the T-Roc off and check into the Frankfurt Airport Hilton, which is in The Squaire, a very unusual glass structure containing offices, hotels, shops as well as the local and long distance train stations, all attached and walking distance to the airport itself.


Our room overlooks the courtyard bar, with some ever changing colored light sculptures.



Frankfurt Airport Caption Contest


"I'll be good mommy, I promise!"



"I have no idea how this works."


The next day, we take the local train across the Rhine into Mainz for a little walkabout.


Krisanne in her natural habitat.



Beautiful square with a 1000 year old cathedral.



Krisanne found a friend.






Hmmm...what's for lunch?


Mainz has a very nice train station.



We were going to go into Frankfurt and tour a couple of museums...but motivationsversagen set in...  ðŸ˜‚. After 87 days, I wasn't going to fight it...besides, the Hilton has a happy hour...and that's always motivation to reflect...


The Highs

The people met along the way, the interactions, small kindnesses, laughs and different perspectives continue to be, for me, the highlights of these trips.

At the top of that list is Alberto, in Valdobbiadene.  His warmth and willingness to share friends and family is extraordinary.  Saying "yes" to his offers made lifelong memories.  And, Zoe, what can I say?  Bia now has a new friend.





To a person, all the people at all the hotels were friendly, helpful, kind and knowledgeable about the area.  They are proud of their "place" and their culture, with a desire to share, from hiking trails to marching bands.



The wine...ok, I like wine.  ðŸ˜Ž. But still, as one of the owners at Chalet Eden put it:  "You are drinking well."  Yes...

A few top of the list examples...


ALL the Prosecco in Valdobbiadene.


Including Alberto's.




And the two at the top of the heap:



Want to know more about Antinori, a 650 year old family winery?  I do...


The riding...best on the planet.  I so enjoy it, the scenery, culture, challenge, everything really.








Krisanne's arrival...it was a long 2 months!



It was fun touring around in the T-Roc, a great choice for this environment.  Different than the moto, to be sure, but offering significantly more convenience.  And more luggage space.  ðŸ˜‚

The Lows

The heat...or is that a high?  Record heatwaves throughout Europe.  To be fair, it did not affect us badly.  Although temperatures were consistently 10-20 degrees F higher than normal, because we were in the mountains, it still was not too bad.  My time at the Milleniumshof was the worst...relentlessly hot, no AC, but at least a pool.



Mia's clutch...well, missing out on really riding the Dolomites was a big low.  But I have every confidence that Thomas and Jannik at her "home" BMW dealer, Stilgenbauer BMW Motorrad, will put her right before next season.  That said, I still did a bit over 2800 miles...no real complaints.

The walk on by...the Arizona plate has been, since I started this in 2019, a surefire conversation starter, especially among other riders.  They would see the plate and almost always stop to chat.  It was fun, engaging and led to interesting conversations.  This year, though, there were far fewer of those "stoppies," instead replaced by the "glance and walk on by."  Sad really, but a telling reaction to the United States' new place in the world.

And with that...

Back By Popular Demand...THE PILLION POINT OF VIEW...


Coda










Ciao!













xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Popular Posts