The European Chronicles 2023.4 - Zig Zags and the Aleria Historic Rally

 Great Riding & Serendipity


Sometimes, you get lucky!





First, a wander around Bastia.  It's a port town, a bit "gritty" but some interesting areas.


Flea market on the harbor


Moby on the move...


Gotta love the paint job! 😎


Originally, I was taking a Moby ferry, but when I went to book, there was nothing available.  Later there was, but I had already booked on Corsica.  No idea why...Italia!  ðŸ˜‚

Absolutely wonderful courtyard restaurant, equally wonderful vegetable risotto.



Django Unchained 😂


I've got a zig zag route planned:  northwest, then back across the mountains to the southeast.  Thunderstorms were predicted and I was hoping to miss them.  I failed.  ðŸ˜’

Started out on the wine route




Relive 'Bastia to Aleria The Long Way'






Lunch stop, very nice couple on a Moto Guzzi and, of course, special Moto parking!




Into the (really, really) good stuff





Spectacular red rock cliffs along the northwest coast




As I took the photo above, there's a flash of lightning along with thunder to my left, with dark clouds gathering over the "mountain in the middle," which actually turns out to be a ski area (5000 feet).  Ride into rain as I climb, temp drops from 79 to 50, but eventually ride out of it on the other side.

Dry by the time I hit this gorge, the Canyon de La Ruda


Incredible bridge


This was a LONG day, only 190 miles but almost everything twisty.  End at a cute little hotel in Aleria, not far from the beach.


Great veranda


Mia gets her own room



Locked up tight.  ðŸ˜‚




The next day over breakfast, there are a couple of guys in Nomex race suits; of course I ask.  Apparently, today is the start of the Aleria Historic Rally.  Historic Rally

Both tarmac and unpaved sections, the tarmac starts today.  Navigator and driver, time/speed/distance.  Some roads supposedly closed by the gendarmerie so they can drive "with enthusiasm."  Guys I was chatting with brought their car from the north of France.  Starting point is a couple of blocks from the hotel.  I catch a couple heading out.




I'd get VERY lucky later...

Did a chill loop ride "down the shore," to invoke a Jersey-ism.  ðŸ˜Ž

Relive 'Corsica Southeast Coast'


Thunderstorms are building again over the mountains; I'm happy to stay by the sea.




I wander into town and discover where the rally starts/stops, and the cars are starting to return.


Total serendipity; had no idea this was going to happen.  Here's a bit of a photo/video dump, some pretty cool machinery.






Lancia Stratos...if you don't know, this was a BIG DEAL rally car in the 70s and 80s.  Mid-engine Ferrari Dino V6 motor, VERY light, 2000 lbs.


Love the roll up mudflaps



Tube chasis and Ferrari under perspex





Several Porsches, the most interesting this GT4RS...I expect doing only the tarmac section...


Forged center locks with carbon ceramic rotors...yum.


There were a few casualties...including the duo I met at breakfast...oops!


A truly civilized late lunch


Great local white...what was it, no idea...local house choice...dry, fruity, lots of citrus.

Ciao!


Popular Posts