The European Chronicles 2022.9. Go Take A (Glacial) Hike

 Yes, I know, Pitztal Again



Pitztal is a place you come for at least several days.  It is "outdoor" oriented, beautiful and the infrastructure makes accessing the stunning topography easy.  Civilized, and I like civilization.

My hotel of choice is directly next to the Rifflseebahn, the gondola up to the Rifflsee, Austria's highest mountain lake at 2232 meters (7322 feet).  There are numerous hiking trails all around the lake.  With a stay at the hotel, you get a "summer card" that gives you access to all the lifts.

Let's go!


Heading up, looking north into the valley, this is the way you ride in.


Looking south toward the glacier, more on that later.


When you step off...


Trails clearly marked.



Let's take a stroll around the lake.




That's a "hutte" selling refreshments with a floating deck...although not open today.




It's a fish... 😆





By the way, this water is c-c-c-c-c-cold!

Feeding the lake



Turn the sound up to hear the running water...



What goes down, must go up...




Back to the Rifflseebahn.


Can really see where the tree line ends...a stunning day!


My hotel...


The next day, today as I type, 10 August, is my birthday.  I had planned a "loop" ride, but was unmotivated and a bit "in my head" about this, if I'm honest.  67.  Which sounds really old.  Almost 70, which sounds really, really old.  Not quite sure why right now, but I hear the clock ticking louder.  Because it is.

One good thing that comes with a birthday is a free cocktail:


Presented at breakfast...

Bagged the ride and decided to hike around the glacier; have some "contemplative" time.  The Gletscher Express takes you there.  Those are EV charging stations to the right.


Once again, free with the "summer card."


Change for the Wildspitzbahn that takes you the rest of the way, to 3440 meters (11286 feet).


The restaurant at the top





Now I know what you're thinking: it's morning.  Yes, yes it is.


But I'm not the only one...


Interesting light fixtures in the restaurant


Let's walk it off.


They have covered parts of the glacier with what I assume is insulation.  Asked a couple of people about it, all were unsure of its efficacy.


They have also done it randomly, at least it looks that way.  You can see several covered spots, but most is not.  No idea why.







The view back


For Krisanne, sparkly rocks everywhere.  Another one will find its way home... 😎


Terra firma or not...


Mountain movie theater




She was having fun.



The walk outside the restaurant



Got Krisanne's number instead...fate!



Back at the mid station



So many hiking trails



Heading back down...



...to collect my reward.


Back on the road tomorrow.  Going to try one of the "Moto hotels" for a couple of days, setting me up for the Grossglockner High Alpine Road, the highest paved road in Austria.  That should be fun.  ðŸ˜Ž


Ciao!




Popular Posts