The European Chronicles - 2021 Prologue

 Twenty days out and counting...




Well, it has been a long road but, fingers crossed, my "10 year ride Europe" plan will resume in a scant 20 days.  I'm sure this year will look quite different than 2019 and I'm keeping my expectations intentionally low.  That way, there's room for a pleasant surprise (or two or three).  😂.  I fly out from Tucson 25 July, landing in Frankfurt the following day.  

This year's strategy:  Flexible is the new black.  I've booked no hotels, have no specific destinations and the only commitments I have involve servicing Mia, my patiently waiting BMW F800GT, in case you forgot.  She's still at Stefan's Moto B&B in Heidelberg, Germany:



I've ordered a new custom Wilbers rear shock (identical to what's now on Ginger, Mia's US-based sister) that will be shipped to Stefan's, and arranged for its installation, along with new tires and brake fluid, at a local BMW dealer.  I'll do an oil change and new battery if necessary in Stefan's shop.  All that will happen within a few days after I arrive.  Hopefully, the gas stabilizer and fresh oil before putting her in storage September 2019 will prevent any problems now.  We'll see.

Once Mia is sorted, my direction will be informed by two things:  1. weather and, 2. the virus.  As of right now, borders are open but the Delta variant is spreading, so closures remain possible.  My biggest fear is being "stuck" in another country and not being able to get Mia back to Heidelberg for storage.  I have a "safety valve" in that there's another storage facility in Zagreb, Croatia if for some reason I can't get back to Germany but could get to Croatia.  Being fully vaxed with Moderna (and being able to prove it with the CDC card and the Clear app) will hopefully allow for easy border crossing.

But I'm not sure I'll even put myself in the cross-border situation.  I want to assess the "openness" of the borders once I'm there and can get a sense of the risk of future border closures from local residents and other travelers.  Initially, I may confine my riding to Germany; the Black Forest, Bavaria, wherever.  That way, there's little risk that I can't get back to Heidelberg should things take a turn for the worse.

That said, the Alps and Dolomites are as seductive as ever, which leads to France, Austria and Italy.  The Route des Grande Alpes through France was the original "next" target.


But who knows; staying in Germany is probably the smart choice and there are worse duties than riding around the Black Forest.  I didn't even scratch the surface in 2019, just transiting through in a day.




Lots more to see and do there.  Plus, spas.  😎

You'll note that there's (sadly) no mention of Casa Olea or Lago di Como in my non-plans.  We've postponed that lovely retreat to 2022, and I'll be doing Europe solo this year, Krisanne opting for a more relaxing rock hounding excursion to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  It really came down to who can afford to get stuck; for retired me, it makes little difference, for still working her, being stuck would be pretty aggravating.

Speaking of hotels, I think that's going to be a pretty big crap-shoot this year.  I'll likely pick a riding direction each night, maybe book a hotel for the next day, or just see where I am around lunch and start looking for one then.

One thing that's on the radar if borders look settled:  the Motogp races at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, Austria.  There are back-to-back races there this year in August because of some virus-cancelled rounds, and it looks like they are starting to allow some spectators.


But again, no commitments.  I don't want to buy tickets now only to have the border situation change.

I will be bringing the new Rev'it Sand 3 riding kit to replace my aging Aerostich.  Have really liked it here, should work well in Europe, cooler and less cumbersome than the 'stich.



Will likely wear it on the plane so I don't have to check luggage and can travel with only the BMW liner bag.


Yup, just that for six weeks.  😁

T minus 20 and counting...


Popular Posts