Let's Try Again

 2020 needs to be in the rearview; an ever diminishing spec, relegated to history's dustbin.  



Unfortunately, the normal "new road trip" solution is impossible in today's "new normal," a raging pandemic that finds Arizona literally leading the WORLD in virus infections per capita right now.  Surrounding states are not far behind, and our vaccine roll out is criminally slow.  The ERs are at, or over, capacity.



The good news, and it is good news, is that we're healthy.  That's the bar right now, "are you healthy," and we are so, so thankful that we've managed to clear it - for now.

Motorcycle "stuff" remains local, here and there, this and that, nothing really significant.  In a fit of optimism, I booked tickets for Europe, hoping to spend the full 3 months there.  Leaving mid-June, returning mid-September, with Krisanne joining for two weeks in late August.  Hopefully, that can actually happen, even if I have to push the leave date back a bit.  All cancelable, of course.

Ginger gets a new Rizoma gas cap.  The stock cap is identical to what was on my 2011 R1200GS, and broke in the exact same place as the GS cap.  Looks better, works better, less (aggravation) filling and even cheaper than the stock BMW part.  I'm seriously considering replacing Mia's cap prophylactically.





Happy holidays...bridge


Teeny, tiny Wine Shack


The Corner Scoop.  65 is warm enough, don't you think?




My Itchy Boots neck tube...go Noraly!  




If you've not seen her videos, she is a young Dutch woman who is traveling the world - solo - on her Royal Enfield Himalayan.  Covid stopped her in Peru; she's now back in the Netherlands.  Her videos are quite good, and her enthusiasm infectious.  Here's a sample:


Decided to upgrade some kit:  neither Krisanne nor I ever bonded with our new R3 Aerostich suits.  In comparison to our other "classic" Aerostiches, the R3 is much stiffer, uncomfortable and does not fit as well.  Sold them both on ADVrider.



Krisanne will use her Olympia gear here, keeping the red Aerostich in Europe; she loves both.  



I bought a new Revit Sand 3 outfit:

I'd always favored gore-tex shells and resisted anything with a liner system, especially pants b/c I can't see standing by the side of the road with my pants off putting a waterproof liner in.  I changed my mind b/c living in the southwest and traveling (when we can) mostly in the west (and Europe, but I'll get to that) I'm much more often fighting heat than wet.  So having an outfit more oriented toward that side of the weather spectrum seemed to make more sense.  The Sand 3 jacket vents extremely well AND you can open/close the chest and arm zippers easily while riding, something I have found almost impossible on the 'stich armpit vents with the new waterproof zips.  The pants also have vent zips on the thighs; if I think there's a chance of rain, I'll start with the liner in and open the vents so there's some air circulation on the liner...that's cooler than the bottom half of the 'stich.  

Now, I have not yet tested it in the rain.  And because of my "now retired" status, my schedule is more flexible, allowing me to avoid more rain rather than the press on regardless, "I've planned the vacation, gotta go" problem when you're working.  With the intermittent and short duration rain in the west, I think this set up will serve my needs better.  In the last five years, I think I've ridden in the rain less than five times, and even those were brief.

I liked the suit so much I bought a second, and will take that to Europe this summer (hopefully) to replace my 12 y/o classic 'stich that's getting a bit worn.  Same logic, with the added benefit that a two piece outfit is much easier to deal with in the tighter spaces of European cafes.



Bonnie gets some fresh Motul and a loop to the Titan Missile Museum


Sophia gets fresh Michelin Road 5s and a Sonoita loop past a new solar installation




Bisbee on Ginger






Here's to a better 2021.  ðŸ˜Ž

Popular Posts