The European Chronicles - Epilogue

The European Chronicles - Epilogue

One Month Out
Meet Ginger



You see, it wasn't just the wine talking on that rainy afternoon in Leysin, Switzerland.  3,300 miles thru the Alps along with 1,200 miles thru Scotland back in 2014 on two different F800GTs convinced me that a lighter touring bike is what I want.  I've put a combined 100,000 miles on two well equipped BMW R1200GSs, so I've got a valid comparison I think.

This was our rental in Scotland, and the first taste of the F800GT:



The GS is a great bike, but it seems to get heavier each year.  Perhaps it is a "circle of life" thing; we start on light bikes, maybe we end on them too.  Plus, our needs have changed a bit.  While Krisanne is still working the next 3 years, all of her vacation time will be dedicated to Europe and visiting family.  Thus, we won't be doing the extended US 2-up bike trips that was the GS's raison d'être.  The F800GT is certainly comfortable enough for her on weekend rides or short getaways.  Equipped properly, it is even more comfortable for me because she's so light.



We considered a new Ducati Multistrada, which we both enjoyed in Tuscany, but it was difficult to justify 23k on a new bike for what will be sporadic 2-up touring duty over the next few years.  Plus, I'm still not convinced that I want a Ducati to tour on; there's been some turmoil at my local dealer and, at this point, I'm more comfortable with the support and service BMW and Iron Horse provide.

So began the quest to find another F800GT.  Ginger was locally owned and serviced at Iron Horse, with only 25k on the clock, and the 24k service already done. All 3 bags, and best of all:  a top-line Wilbers shock still new in the box awaiting installation and built for my weight.



I'm thinking Ginger will be a five year bike: I'll put about 5k/year on, in five years she'll have 50k, and that takes us two years into Krisanne's retirement, allowing us to reassess our bike travel needs then.  Having the same bike here and in Europe also allows me to build up a personal knowledge base regarding any service issues.



Of course, there's the required farkling:  Sargent seat, lower pegs, higher bars, taller screen, power distribution module, wire in the TomTom and heated gear; most of that stuff is "incoming."  Thankfully, brand new Conti RoadAttack 3 tires, which are both sticky and linear; we'll see how they last.



Also got word today that Mia has been repaired from my Stelvio drop, just have to coordinate payment from the insurance company and Stefan will pick her up for storage until our 2020 adventure.

Speaking of which, we've decided to rent Casa Olea again for Krisanne's two weeks because there's still so much there to do and see for her, and it is an easy, relaxing place for her to get to and be.  There are about a million ways for me to ride there, and I'm thinking the Route des Grande Alpes thru France, then cut east to Lago di Como thru the Swiss and Italian Alps.  More tough duty.



A taste:



Have I mentioned that I miss riding Europe?  Really, how can you not, it is riding paradise with great culture all around.  But I'm sure Ginger and I will need some time away too...

Let the planning begin! 😀

Quick update...the touring shield arrived today...

Popular Posts